- Law 30/27, 1979, concerns the extraction and transplantation of organs
- The activities concerning the use of cells and human tissues are regulated by the Royal Decree Law 9/2014, 4th July.
- The Royal Decree 1723/2012, 28th December, regulates all activities concerning organ donation.
- Depending on regional laws the eye is considered as an organ or tissue, while the cornea is always considered as tissue.
- Depending on regional laws, organ donation is an opting out or opting in system. In practice, donation procedures only start with a written authorization of the next of kin.
- An accreditation by the Regional Health Authorities as the competent authority is required.
- Inspection of eye banks occurs by the Regional Health Authorities, also defining the criteria.
- Dependent on regional laws there are requirements for the storage solution.
Donation & Transplantation