- No distinction is made between the eye and the cornea: both are considered as tissues.
- Removal of the eye is allowed.
- Organ donation is an opting out system (presumed consent): objections are registered in the 'Widerspruchregister' or made known personally.
- In 2008 the Austrian Tissue Safety Act (Gewebesicherheitsgesetz) based on the EC-Directives on tissues and cells was implemented.
- An accreditation by a competent authority according to the Gewebesicherheitsgesetz is executed biannually, including inspection of eye banks.
Donation & Transplantation